Our goal is to know what we’re getting into and to be able to give a good estimate at the end of the week. This should be “Week 0” of a development project.
Types of discovery weeks
We have two types of discovery weeks:
- A new product to build
- Consulting work on an existing product
It could potentially be a mix of the two.
For the first type the main work should be detailed user stories with scenarios in Cucumber format.
For the second type the main work should be getting the existing app running and understanding it in detail.
In both cases the most important goal for the week is a good estimate with confidence that we understand everything that’s needed.
This is what we deliver to the client:
- An estimate spreadsheet (share it comment-only, and wait until after reviewing it on a call).
- A Trello board
- For a new product: user stories with detailed Cucumber scenarios
- For consulting work on an existing product: technical investigation and details of tasks and recommendations
- Capture document summarizing the above